Thursday 4 June 2009

The Hurried Woman Syndrome


Last week I wrote about this syndrome and received emails that it isn't just women, but also men who are running about like headless chickens. I also received permission to share this email from Diana in the Netherlands with you...


Hi Talane,

This is so great, but sadly 2 weeks to late for me.

I call myself runaround Sue. Not running around with men, but running around doing a 1000 things at once (and my name isn't Sue either!)


I was just wondering, "Why do I need to do all those things? Why can't I just leave it with one thing and drop the rest? On my day off (I work 4 days) I take my daughter to school and immediately go grocery shopping at three stores--one is cheaper, one has nicer stuff, and the other has fresh veggies. After that I go to a thousand other places. Sometimes when I pick my daughter up from school, she says, "Mummy, why are you staring?"

"Because mummy is tired." (It was only 1pm!)

But I didn't go to sleep, I did the other 100 things.

Two weeks ago I got dizzy. After two dizzy days at work, I couldn't get up the third day. The doctor said I needn't worry --it was a flu or something. I got better by resting. I'm also in a band so I did the gig, stayed up late, got up early and did my crazy running again because I felt better.

Yesterday the universe got tired of watching me. I sprained my ankle at work while running around. It was so bad I was nauseated from the pain and had to be carried as I couldn't walk.

I'm sitting at home now, unable to move. My mother-in-law takes my daughter to and from school. My husband does the shopping (at one store) and my coworkers don't want to see me at work until my ankle is better. I can only crawl to the bathroom every now and then.

I still have a thousand plans, but I know now, that even without carrying them out, the world is still doing fine. 

What a way the universe has chosen to tell me: "No stop running around, you fool!"

So thanks for the tips. I will use them from now on. Also, in your first book, there was something about making a list and throwing it away? That sounds good too.

Greetings from The Netherlands,

Diana Kartojudo


I love Diana's story because it is so typical of so many of us. I've done it myself! Further updates from Diana...she has torn the achilles heel, has had surgery and now really can't move! If you don't slow down, the universe will stop you in your tracks. 


Before you end up in traction, make a list right now of ten things you could do to simplify your life. Cut out projects that you've taken on that you no longer enjoy. Shop at one store or better yet, shop online. (It's the greener choice! )Diana is already planning on shopping online (I'm amazed that American grocery stores haven't started offering this fabulous service yet), but mentioned that she'd only do that while incapacitated. Personally, I'm hooked on it now and only shop in the store for fun now. The big weekly shop is all automated. 

Start showing up ten minutes early to every appointment and use that time to just sit and be still or meditate. No more chickens please!


No comments:

Post a Comment