Thursday 29 October 2009

Just because You Can Do It doesn't Mean You Should!

Talane’s Coaching Tip for the Week, October 19, 2009
Just Because You Can Doesn't Mean You Should

This tips actually came from my older sister who was watching me try to write a book, redesign my website, look after my two girls and build a new house all at once. And the truth of the matter is that I couldn't do all these things at once and in the end, focused on one thing—my book and well, my girls and husband which is actually one thing and three very special people! There is a huge temptation to try to do it all because we want it all—at least I do! The problem comes in trying to do it all at once and that can be just too stressful and actually ineffective. It is much more effective to focus on one thing at a time and get that project done so that it is out there in the world as a finished product. If I didn't finish this latest book, Coach Yourself to a New Career (McGraw-Hill coming the spring of 2010) then you wouldn't be able to read it. I realized I've been scattering my own energies by trying to take on too many goals and projects at once. This just isn't effective. Now I've committed to focusing on just one big goal at a time. What a relief!
This concept applied to one of my clients as well. He had recently decided to get out of one of the businesses he had owned for years. At one time he had really enjoyed this business but he had since become more involved in Mergers and Acquisitions, which was not only more interesting but also highly profitable. So he sold his very solid and profitable business to a dear friend only to find that a few months later his friend became very ill and was in the hospital for three weeks. My client, being a truly kind-hearted man, took over some of the jobs so that he could keep his friend's business running. He was thinking he might even have to buy the business back. I suggested that just because he could run this business and buy it back, doesn't mean that he should—he'd be better off offering to sell the business for his friend.
What are you taking on that you really have no business doing? I have no business trying to build a website because I'm not one bit techy and haven't even figured out how to use my lovely new Mac yet and I've had it a year! If I were so inclined I'd have been tinkering around with it in the evenings and learning how to use all its cool features. If it isn't one of your natural talents or abilities, find someone who is talented and get them to help you with it or do it for you! Are you taking on more than one key goal or project at a time? What can you put on the back burner so that you can enjoy your current project fully?

Enjoy!
Talane
P.S. For the chronically overwhelmed or simply if you'd like to really clear out all the distractions so you can actually focus on one thing, join me in the upcoming Phone Class, The Power of Focus, starting November 3. Only $99 for three weeks and you can participate from the comfort of your home or office as long as you have a land line. For more information please see information on the class and the link below. I'll look forward to meeting you on the call!

Copyright © 2009 by Talane LLC. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment